Hey stampers! It’s hard for me to totally get into the Halloween spirit when it’s 90 degrees outside, but I’m giving it a good try! My project for you today is 12 Weeks of Halloween Week 5 – Happy Owloween. I’m going to have to find a way to keep using this adorable little owl after Halloween because he is just too cute to file away!
You’ll find full instructions at the end of the post, but I wanted to point out a few things. The focal point of this little treat bag is made from our Spooky Night Designer Series Paper (DSP). There are so many fun patterns and the orange and black cats can be punched out using the Cat Punch; easy peasy!
I just took one of the 12 x 12 sheets, chopped it up into 3 x 3 pieces and then simply stamped the owl on top. I used Basic Gray ink (which made the owl lighter than the black tree branch) so I didn’t even have to mask the tree. The owl blended right in. If you aren’t sure how to mask, click here to see an earlier post where I explain the technique. While there is a image in this stamp set for the beak and feet, I found it easier to use a Pumpkin Pie marker right on the image and color.
I cut little slivers of Pumpkin Pie Cardstock to create the curls inside the top of the bag. The Stampin’ Up! Paper Trimmer works great for this and then I used the end of a pencil to curl the paper. Another tip; you can make this project as is, or use the design for cards.
- Stamp Set – Spooky Cat (P-144749)
- Stamp Pads – Archival Gray (140932) Black (140931) Stamp Pad
- Cardstock – Pumpkin Pie (105117)
- Misc. – Spooky Night Designer Series Paper (DSP) (144610), SNAIL Adhesive (104331), Stampin Dimensionals, Big Shot (143263), Mini Treat Bag Thinlits (137547), Magnetic Platform (130658), Black Rhinestone Jewels (144639), 5/8” Burlap Ribbon, Linen Thread (104199), Wood Textures DSP Stack (144171), Pumpkin Pie Marker (131259-Brights set), Black Marker (131261 – Neutral Set), Tear & Tape Adhesive (138995), Stampin’ Trimmer (126889)
- Spooky DSP: 3” x 3” of orange piece with black tree
- Wood Textures DSP: two of the same piece
- Burlap Ribbon: 10”
- Linen Thread: 8”
- Cut Spooky DSP piece/s at 3” between every tree piece (you will end up with 16 pieces per DSP sheet)
- Stamp owl using Gray ink so feet are resting on tree branch.
- Stamp“happy owloween” onto owl using black ink.
- Using Pumpkin Pie marker, color in beak and feet. Using black marker, color in white around eyes. Attach small black rhinestone into center of each eye. Set aside.
- Cut out Treat bag using Mini Treat Bag Thinlits and put together using Tear & Tape Adhesive.
- Put one Stampin Dimensional on each corner on the back of stamped DSP square and adhere to bag front.
- Thread piece of Burlap Ribbon around bag, through owl piece and tie linen thread into a bow around ends of burlap. Trim off as desired.
- Attach three black rhinestones to bottom of bag.
- Cut 8-10 1/8” strips of Pumpkin Pie Cardstock. Roll around end of a pencil to create a curled piece.
- Put SNAIL on one end of curled pieces and attach to inside of bag. You might need to re-curl strips once strips are positioned.
I hope you’ll give this 12 Weeks Of Halloween Week 5 – Happy Owloween project a try! If you’ve missed my other Halloween projects, you can start here for Week 1 and then scroll through. I have lots of great projects, tips and techniques in older posts!