I just love the Joseph's Coat technique, especially with this Artistically Asian Flair! If you've never experimented with this technique, I think you'll love it. It really isn't as hard as it may look!
Remember the Prodigal Son Joseph in the Bible? He wandered from home, squandered his fortune but his father welcomed him home with a beautiful “coat of many colors”; that's sort of the idea with this technique!
Here's the basic process for this technique: sponge different colors on your white background, then you stamp an image using Versamark ink, emboss using your choice of powder, heat set the ink, sponge or brayer over the image with black ink and then wipe off the image with a tissue. The Versamark stamped image will “resist” the black ink and…voila…you'll have a beautiful result! Detailed instructions for this Joseph's Coat technique follow below. If you want to purchase any of the items to make this stunning card, just click on any picture.
- Stamp Sets – Artistically Asian (141781); Timeless Textures (140517)
- Card Stock – Thick Whisper White (140272); Basic Black (141045);
- Stamp Pads – Melon Mambo (126948); Pumpkin Pie (126945); Garden Green ( 126973 ); Versamark (102283 ); Black Memento (132708)
- Misc. – Gold Foil Sheets (132622); Circle Framelits (141705); Sponges (141337); Dimensionals (104430); Clear Embossing Powder (109130); Gold Embossing Powder (109129); Embossing Buddy (103083); Heat Tool (129053)
- Thick Whisper White: 4 ¼” x 11”, White Mat- 3 7/8” x 5 1/8”
- Basic Black: 4” x 5 ¼ ”, Strip 2” x 4 ¾”
- Gold Circle: 4” x 4”
- Image Piece White Circle: 3 ½” x 3 ½ :”
- Attach White Mat to Black Mat and Attach to Card Base
- Rub your Embossing Buddy over the bottom of the Black Strip. Stamp Saying at the bottom with Versamark. Pour Gold Embossing Powder over and heat set with your heat tool. Touch the bottom of that piece to the Versamark Pad leaving ink on the bottom and pour gold Embossing Powder over and heat set. Attach to card.
- Color your white circle using sponges. Sponge areas with Melon Mambo, Pumpkin Pie and Garden Green. I sort of blended the Pumpkin and Mambo in areas.
- Stamp the flower image using Versamark, also stamp the grid image in a few places using Versamark as well. Pour Clear Embossing Powder over all and heat set.
- Ink a sponge using Black ink and cover the whole circle.
- Wipe the image off with a tissue after it’s all been inked.
- Stamp the dots that come in Timeless Textures with Versamark in a few places. Pour Gold Embossing Powder over and heat set.
- Mount image piece to gold circle and then adhere to card with Dimensionals
I really hope you'll give this fun Joseph's Coat technique a try! I'd love to see your samples if you do! 🙂