Hey stampers, welcome back to my blog! Today I wanted to share a fun birthday card using some dragonflies from the Awesomely Artistic stamp set. The holiday season of craziness is in full swing around my house so having a stack of birthday cards ready to go makes my life easier!
The technique is “emboss resist” and is easier than it might look. It takes a tad bit more time but the results are so worth it! My card club ladies have really enjoyed this technique over the years and it is a fun one for new stampers…gives a great feeling of accomplishment!
Follow the instructions below and you’ll be an “emboss resist” pro in no time! Experiment with other colors, too..that’s half the fun!
Just click on a picture to order any needed supplies.
- Stamp Sets – Awesomely Artistic (139950); Birthday Blossoms (139471)
- Card Stock – Early Espresso (119686); Bermuda Bay (131197); Melon Mambo (115320); Whisper White (100730)
- Stamp Pads – Early Espresso (126974); Bermuda Bay (131171); Melon Mambo (126948); Daffodil Delight (126944); Versamark (102283)
- Misc. – Layering Circles Framelits (141705); Stamping Sponges (141337); Embossing Buddy (103083); Clear Embossing Powder (109130); Rhinestone Basic Jewels (119246); Paper Snips (103579); Heat Tool (129053); Stampin’ Dimensionals (104430); SNAIL adhesive (104332)
- Early Espresso: 4 1/4″ x 11
- Bermuda Bay: 3 1/4” x 5 1/4″ 7/8” x 3 7/8”
- Melon Mambo: 2 1/4″ x 2 1/4″
- Whisper White : 3 1/8” x 5 1/8” 3/4″ x 3 3/4″
- Score the Early Espresso card base at 5 1/2″ and fold.
- On the Whisper White piece, use Stamping Sponges to sponge on Bermuda Bay, Melon Membo and Daffodil Delight ink. You can overlap some of the colors to create orange and purple areas, but it is best to make small areas of each color. Cover the entire piece of Whisper White with color.
- Swipe the Embossing Buddy over the sponged cardstock.
- Using Versamark ink, stamp the dragonfly all over the sponged piece, being careful not to overlap.
- Sprinkle on Clear Embossing Powder and then heat emboss with the Heat Tool.
- Using Early Espresso ink and another Stamping Sponge, cover the entire art piece with ink.
- Use a tissue or soft cloth to wipe ink off the dragonflies to reveal the beautiful colors.
- Glue the art piece onto Bermuda Bay mat and attach to left side of card base.
- Use a 1 7/8” Circle Framelit to cut a Melon Mambo circle and stamp “Celebrate You” in Early Espresso. Glue this circle onto the right side of the card about 2/3 of the way down.
- Stamp “happy birthday” with Early Espresso onto the strip of Whisper White. Flag the end and glue onto the strip of Bermuda Bay and flag that also. Attach the sentiment strip with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Complete card by adding Rhinestone Basic Jewels.
Remember during this busy season to take time to enjoy your family and friends. It’s all too easy to let our “busy-ness” overwhelm us and take away our ….